Why study pre-medicine and osteopathy at CMU?
The pre-medicine and osteopathy program offers outstanding clinical and classroom preparation for entrance into medical schools. Consider these key features distinguishing this pre-professional program:
- An intensive curriculum that is responsive to the ever-changing health care environment
- Practical learning and research opportunities in advanced clinical facilities, laboratories, and classrooms equipped with some of the latest technology and equipment
- A specific advisor to guide students in selecting an undergraduate major and course work
- Professional development through organizations such as the Pre-Med & Osteopathic Society
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics
Occupational Outlook Handbook, for all occupations through the year 2014:
- Employment of physicians and surgeons is projected to grow 18 to 26 percent due to continued expansion of health care industries.
- Opportunities for individuals interested in becoming physicians and surgeons are expected to be very good.
- Newly trained physicians face radically different choices of where and how to practice. New physicians are much less likely to enter solo practice and more likely to take salaried jobs in group medical practices, clinics, and health networks.
Medical doctors and doctors of osteopathy will find career opportunities in a variety of specialized areas. Some of these may require additional education.
- Family Practice
- General Practice
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology