Welcome to your new home away from home! Mount Pleasant is a quintessential college town, with a vibrant community of 26,000 friendly faces. Located in the heart of Michigan, you’re never more than one to three hours away from wherever you want to be – your hometown, the Great Lakes, or the metropolitan scene in Grand Rapids, Detroit or Lansing. Downtown Mount Pleasant features restaurants, big-box stores, boutique shops, entertainment, night life, and public parks and recreational facilities, so there’s always something going on.
Looking for something to do outside of the classroom? Mount Pleasant has a wide variety of big-city amenities with that famous small town charm.
For the foodie...
- Need a mid-afternoon pick-me-up? Grab a cup of joe at one of several local and chain coffee shops around campus. Try some fair-trade locally roasted beans at
The Dreamer, or head to the campus Starbucks for an iced caramel macchiato to go.
- Our historic downtown area is the hub for fine dining in Mount Pleasant. Meet friends for brunch at
Max & Emily's or grab a slice at
Pisanello's pizza joint. Looking for something more upscale? Try tapas at
120 South, world-class sushi at
Midori or a good old-fashioned steak dinner at the
- Mission Street is home to several popular fast-food chains and sit-down restaurants, including the infamous Pixie, a 50s themed drive-thru diner with deep roots in the Mount Pleasant community.
- Sticking around over the summer? Every Friday from June to August is
#FoodTruckFriday on campus, with various local food trucks facing off to win in the court of public opinion. It's the perfect way to support local businesses while getting a taste of Mount Pleasant.
- If you're looking for a home-grown option, visit the
Farmers Market for fresh fruits and vegetables, homemade soaps and candles, and plenty of fresh baked goods. The market is open from June to October every Thursday at Island Park and every Saturday at City Hall.
For the adventurer...
- If you love the great outdoors, you'll feel right at home in one of Mount Pleasant's 15 public parks. Take your furry friend for a walk in
Hannah's Bark Park, go for a hike in the 30 acres of
Chipp-A-Waters park or shred it up at the skate park located in
- If you want to beat the heat, try tubing down the Chippewa River or head to the
Soaring Eagle Water Park for a wave pool, surfing simulator, hot tubs, saunas and three stories of water slides.
- Looking for a thrill? Boost your adrenaline with skydiving!
Mount Pleasant has multiple affordable options for beginning and experienced jumpers alike. Or if skydiving isn't quite your thing, check out
Snow Snake's zip line tours in nearby Harrison, Mich.
For the culture connoisseur...
- Check out the local art scene at
Art Reach downtown or the
CMU Art Gallery on campus. Looking to enrich your own artistic skills? Try your hand at watercolor landscapes or jewelry making with classes from Art Reach or paint one-of-a-kind pottery at
The Painted Turtle.
- CMU hosts dozens of guest speakers and lecturers each year. Past guests have included Gen. Colin Powell, Jane Goodall, actor Jeff Daniels and comedian Bo Burnham.
- Learn more about Mount Pleasant's rich heritage and history at the Ziibiwing Center of Anishinabe Culture and Lifeways or the
CMU Museum of Cultural and Natural History .
- Take in a show at the historic Broadway Theatre downtown or one of four performance spaces on CMU's campus.
For the musician…
- There's no shortage of live music in Mount Pleasant. See bands and artists such as Ke$ha, The Band Perry or Fall Out Boy in concert at the
Soaring Eagle Casino or one of CMU's many on-campus shows. Or if you prefer smaller venues, check out local artists at
Max & Emily's Summer Concert Series or CMU's own annual music festival, Maroonzie.
- If you'd rather be in the spotlight, head to karaoke night at
The Cabin or one of Kaya's infamous Open Mic Nights to strut your stuff. CMU also has multiple choirs, ensembles and a cappella groups on campus for musically inclined students to join.
For the philanthropist…
- If you're looking to get involved in the community and make a difference, look no further! Mount Pleasant has a host of volunteer options – apply with
United Way, go on an
Alternative Break through CMU, or get involved through a local church or mission. For more information and ways to give back, visit CMU's
Mary Ellen Brandell Volunteer Center.
- Central Michigan University is the home of
Special Olympics Michigan and hosts the State Summer Games every June. This is a wonderful opportunity for community involvement and volunteerism, as CMU welcomes nearly 3,000 Special Olympics athletes to campus each year.
For the shopaholic…
- Mount Pleasant has a variety of shopping areas, including both big-box stores and small local boutiques. From used books to home furnishings, no matter what you're shopping for, you're bound to find something perfect.
- If you're looking for even more shopping opportunities, there are more stores and shopping malls nearby in Midland, Saginaw or Lansing.
For the athlete…
- Sports fans, rejoice! Mount Pleasant has numerous opportunities to watch and participate in organized sports. Become the star of the
Quidditch team with
CMU club sports or join an
intramural soccer team. If watching sports is more your speed, take in one of many games at CMU's Kelly/Shorts Stadium or Theunissen Stadium or head to Midland to check out a
Great Lakes Loons game. Students get in free to any CMU sporting event with a valid student ID.
- Looking for more athletic involvement? Mount Pleasant city parks feature several outdoor sports complexes, including a football field, horseshoe pits, a disc golf course, and basketball, baseball and tennis courts.
No matter who you are or what you like to do, Mount Pleasant has something for everyone.
Dive in and explore here in the center of it all.