​Central Michigan University has affordable tuition for graduate students, and many options are available to help you pay for your graduate education.

  • Fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). All U.S. students may apply. Here's what you'll need when filling out the FAFSA:
    • Have your tax information ready. You may use estimated income from year-end check stubs and W-2 forms.
    • Complete and send the FAFSA online.
    • List CMU's name and Title IV School Code: 002243.
    • For priority consideration, submit your FAFSA no later than February 15.
  • Apply for graduate assistantships. Graduate assistantships are awarded on a competitive basis. Recipients are given a tuition waiver and a stipend. Students receiving graduate assistantships work part time for their department on research, teaching, or administrative support.
    • If applicable, sign up for an appropriate Non-Resident Graduate Tuition Award. These awards provide in-state, resident tuition rates to non-Michigan students. If you are qualified for any Non-Resident Tuition Award, simply notify the College of Graduate Studies after you have been accepted into a graduate program at CMU.
  • Awards include:
    • Legacy Tuition Award: for students who have a parent or grandparent who earned an undergraduate degree from Central Michigan University
    • Non-Resident Merit Award: for students with high GPAs and entrance exam scores
    • Neighboring Regions Award: for students of accredited colleges or universities in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin or Ontario, Canada, who have high undergraduate GPAs.
  • Enroll in CMU's interest-free payment plan.  The CMU Payment Plan allows you to split the semester costs into five payments.​

For details on all scholarships, loans, and federal applications, contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. For details on graduate assistantships​ ​and Non-Resident Graduate Tuition Awards, contact the College of Graduate Studies.​