In addition to the international scholarships​ CMU offers, you’ll want to explore the following options:

  • Contact the Embassy. There may be aid available from the U.S. government for students from specific countries. Your best bet for learning what’s available is to contact your embassy, the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Information Agency. You should also write to the Agency for International Development.
  • Look for aid from your home country. One of the best sources of financial aid is in your country. The nearest educational advising center may have information about local sources of support. Contact the cultural section of your embassy or your ministry of education, since many awards require you to be nominated by your government.

Your home country also may have private organizations such as businesses, foundations and religious groups that provide support for study in the United States.

  • Contact international organizations. Some international organizations offer funding for graduate students to study in the U.S. These awards are competitive.
  • Apply for a Fulbright scholarship. About 4,700 graduate students worldwide each year earn these prestigious awards. Applicants are required to take the TOEFL and GRE or GMAT exams. Fulbright students are required to be on J-1 visas for the duration of their sponsorship. For information, visit the Council for International Exchange of Scholars. You also may contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, Fulbright Commission office, or educational advising center.